Friday, December 30, 2011

What Christmas means to Mary...















Christmas to me is all about home. I am lucky to live in a 1905 home with my retired husband

and two dogs. I love decorating the front living room mantel and knew when I first looked at buying the home that that mantel was going to cost me alot. This Christmas I was lucky to find an old lithograph entitled "The Hunted" of two beautiful deer being chased by two bad dogs (the deer can outrun and out jump those old hounds so remain calm). It was the theme for my decorating this year. I even made napkin rings from Spencerian flourishing drawings of two deer and two dogs. I love the smell and sight of all the fresh cedar and fir that is so bountiful here in the Pacific Northwest and it makes it's way into every room. Our family has many traditions that we all look forward too. Oyster stew with crust and crab cakes (this year we caught our own crab in Bob's new boat that cost more than anything I will ever hang over that mantel) is our Christmas Eve tradition. My sister puts on a wonderful brunch on Christmas day for all of us. We serve a prime rib to family and friends on Christmas night. So Christmas is family, home, traditions and friends. It doesn't get any better than that....

No comments:

Post a Comment